What do we want?
We want flash fiction that delights and disturbs.
Fiction comes in all lengths, but we believe that the brevity is the soul of wit. Flash fiction, micro-fiction, short shorts and numerous other labels exist for the genre – and for us it means works 1000 words or less.
We want fiction that challenges human-centred narratives, that forces us to confront our place in the universe, that makes us question: Who are we? Why are we here? Is there a purpose? Historically, weird fiction has best captured this goal. However, we are willing to accept submissions from speculative, horror, and literary writers that meet the above criteria.
We only consider original works written in English. A translated version of a previously published story may be submitted as a reprint if you are the author or translator and have the rights to do so.
We want authors from all backgrounds, regardless of race, religion, political affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, age, identity and biology.
What don’t we want?
- Works over 1000 words in length
- Feel good stories
- Moralist tirades
- Gore unrelated to plot
- Explicit sexual content
- Fan-fiction – the Cthulu mythos is fine but simply recreating Lovecraft should be avoided
- Works that promote sexist, racist or homophobic views:
- This isn’t the provocative we are looking for
- These biases are just as human, and therefore as wrong, as humanist conceptions of progress and liberty
- These come with the added disadvantage of distracting us from the problems of humanism with petty tribalism
- This doesn’t mean that these views can’t be addressed – just not promoted
- Hypertext fiction
- Works comprised as a shopping list, a series of texts or emails
Pay and submission
Original fiction – 5 cents US per word
Please use the modern manuscript format (link here) for all submissions. However, please exclude any identifying material to enable blind reviewing.
In terms of specific formatting:
- Size 12 Georgia font
- 1.5 cm indent on new paragraph lines
- 1.5 line spacing
- 12 point spacing after paragraph
Only one submission at a time.
Allowed – however please let us know as soon as you are accepted somewhere else.
If we publish your work, we require exclusive electronic rights to it for 3 months and non-exclusive rights indefinitely so we can include it in our online archives.